Blog

How To Go Paleo

At Keller Crafted Meats, people buy our products for a lot of reasons, but the surging popularity of the Paleo diet is one of the biggest. If you’re not familiar with it, this diet is modeled on what we think our distant ancestors ate. Lots of natural meat, eggs, vegetables, nuts, fruits, fats, seeds, and oils, and skipping whole and refined grains, legumes, packaged and processed snacks, dairy, and sugars.

It sounds easy, but changing your eating habits to more Paleo-friendly habits can be easier said than done. Read on for some straightforward tips to make the switch effectively.

  • First, you’ll want to clean out your kitchen, but there are two ways to do this. You can opt to gather all of the “no” foods all at once and get them out of circulation. By doing this, you’ll be able to completely avoid temptation. The second option is to take it gradually, so cut out grains only during the first week, then factor in dairy on the second week, and so on. Either way, don’t just throw away the food you won’t be eating. Instead, donate as much as you can to a food bank.
  • If a good amount of your meals come from takeout, restaurants, or fast food, this is the perfect time to start cooking. Paleo is all about eating foods that are whole, natural, and fresh, and by cooking, you have all the power when it comes to what you eat. If you’re not too handy in the kitchen, don’t worry, we guarantee you’ll get better with time. It also gives you the opportunity to get creative or try new things. Challenge yourself to find the weirdest fruit or vegetable you can, and do some research online to find a recipe that prominently features that food.
  • However, remember that you don’t necessarily have to dive completely head first into Paleo. Many dietary experts recommend a ratio of 85/15. This means for 85% of your food consumption, you’re strictly Paleo. For the remaining 15%, it’s okay to have ice cream, a sandwich, or a drink with friends.
  • Expect to have setbacks, and be okay with it. Remember that real change takes time, and modifying your eating habits is an enormous change. From time to time, you’re absolutely going to slip back into your old eating habits, and that’s fine. If you start to get stressed or feel dispirited about it, you can connect with other folks taking the Paleo challenge on social media. Not only will you make new friends, but you’ll have support to keep you on the right track.
  • When you do your regular grocery shopping, take the time to read labels. Skipping doughnuts or potato chips is a no-brainer, but other foods can be a little trickier. Peanut butter, for example, is actually a legume, and many nut butters have lots of added sugars. Along similar lines, lots of sauces and marinades include gluten, preservatives, sugar, and soy. The trick is, plan to do your shopping when you’re not pressed for time, and you can examine labels without feeling stressed.

Going Paleo can be tricky initially. Just take a deep breath, realize there will be some setbacks along the way, and you’ll make it.