Wolfe Ranch Quail
I have known Brent since 2006 and I hold a place for this guy in my heart like a brother. We connect every week or so on the phone and instantly we get down to the heart of the matter - the spiritual pursuit of excellence.
Brent has dedicated his life to perfecting the perfect quail.
He controls all aspects of is operation from raising the eggs, running the hatchery, growing the quail, processing the quail in his own CDFA licensed processing plant.
Brent started breeding quail as a teen and expanded a customer base that started with Alice Waters of Chez Panisse to include Wolfgang Puck, Thomas Keller and Cory Lee serving their restaurants and others like Postrio, Campton Place, French Laundry and Meadowood in the Bay Area and Per Se in NYC.
Brent has been the guy who has lived his dream for 37 years, worked 100 hour weeks, forgone a family, and committed his life to his love of ranching and creating a product that is unmatched.
- “When famed chef Wolfgang Puck needs quail, he places a call to Brent Wolfe. Brent was one of the pioneers of California’s pasture to- plate movement, selectively breeding his birds and feeding them an all-grain diet with no hormones or antibiotics. The result? A flavorful quail that’s two to three times the size of his competitors.” -Sacramento Magazine
- “There are very few people like him in America. Very few people who can do something at such high quality and consistency. That’s why we buy from him. He does Quail better than anybody, I don’t think there’s any comparison.” – Wolfgang Puck
- “Of all our suppliers, Brent is the one I identify with the most.” – Cory Lee, Benu
- “In culinary circles and beyond, Brent is a legend, renowned for raising the finest quail in the country, and possibly the world. His affection for the bird began at age eleven, the day his mom dropped him off at a chicken show and he left with a crate of quail chicks, gifted by a breeder. And that’s what Brent ultimately became, selectively breeding to develop what I like to think of as a ‘special blend’ that tasted better than anything else I’ve tried. -Stuart Brioza, State Bird Provisions
- ”We cherish his quail—it’s big and meaty, with a very pure poultry flavor. He breeds for size, consistency, and his genetics have evolved more docile birds, quiet by nature, that process better (they generate less adrenaline at slaughter, which can lower the pH of the bird), and therefore taste better.” - Thomas Keller, The French Laundry
- “I’m obsessed with the Wolfe Ranch Quail, they are my favorite product to cook and eat. Since they are not widely known outside of California, when I do events elsewhere in the country they are sure to blow the minds of other chefs and guests as the best quail they have ever had, by far.” -Traci Des Jardin, Chef & Restaurateur
- “In 2018, I had the pleasure of dining at Benu. This is the first time I experienced eating a Wolfe Ranch Quail. It was the best thing I have ever eaten in my 20+ years of being a Chef.” - Sean Brock, James Beard Best Chef of the Southeast 2010